Eating and sticking with a low-calorie diet is one of the biggest challenges for most dieters, and it's a plan that backfires for more than 90 percent of dieters. How can you lose weight without regaining the weight back in a few weeks? The answer is to cut calories slowly and to fill up on healthier foods that actually satisfy you.
There are plenty of healthy and satisfying foods available at your local grocery store, and all it takes is some planning and conscious food choices to cut out extra calories and maintain steady weight loss.
Simple Strategies to Cut Calories
Some of the most effective and simple ways to lose weight without counting calories include:
- Exercising portion control. Learn about serving sizes and healthy portions so you don't end up eating more than your body really needs. You may need to measure and weigh your food when you first start learning this technique, but making a mental note of a "real" serving size will help you make better choices for a lifetime.
- Eating high-fiber foods. Natural foods such as fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains contain high levels of fiber, which can fill you up quickly. When you're trying to lose weight, high-fiber foods can be a valuable addition to your daily menu and help you keep your appetite in check.
- Eliminating junk food from the daily menu. Too many sugary, salty and processed foods can be the ultimate diet saboteurs. Make a conscious decision to eliminate junk food from your diet and reach for wholesome, nutritious and natural foods as often as possible.
- Eating water-based foods. Eating foods that contain lots of water such as cucumbers, leafy greens, watermelon and other fresh fruit can balance out your diet and provide your body with essential vitamins and minerals.
More Weight Loss and Calorie-Cutting Tips
In addition to sticking with a consistent meal plan and making conscious decisions about your food choices, you can continue losing weight at a steady rate by:
- Exercising on a daily basis -- Aim for just 20-30 minutes of medium to intensive exercise each day to give your metabolism a boost.
- Drinking more water -- Water helps quench your thirst, reduces the sensation of hunger and keeps your metabolism running at peak efficiency.
- Eating a healthy breakfast -- Starting your day off on a healthy track with a wholesome breakfast will keep hunger at bay and reduce your need to snack on unhealthy food.
- Manage stress in a healthy way -- Avoid turning to food to manage your feelings or reduce stress; try natural relaxation techniques to help you cope in a healthy and fulfilling way.
There are plenty of ways to cut calories without obsessively counting calories; when you learn which foods to eat on a daily basis, how to exercise portion control and what foods to eliminate completely from your diet, the weight-loss process becomes much, much easier! Stick with your well-balanced diet plan long enough to make it a habit, and you will be able to lose weight and keep it off for a lifetime.